Got hit on wrist and started hurting and pain in arm. Is this a compression fracture?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I hit a wall a couple of days ago.. And now my right wrist is hurting really bad... I can barely move it.. When I pick stuff up that is heavy it hurts even worse... The pain is radiating up my arm on the inside (forearm) My middle, ring and pinky I can barely move... Is this a compression fracture or did I really do some damage
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

It might be a soft tissue injury, ligament injury or a fracture. Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others.

Pinched nerve can be the second possibility which can produce symptoms such as yours.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, ice the affected area and take anti-inflammatory drug like mortin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Follow-up: Got hit on wrist and started hurting and pain in arm. Is this a compression fracture? 4 hours later
I have been taking NSAIDS for the pain. I have used the rice method for my wrist. But not to long later after putting ice or even heat it feels lik e the pain goes all the way dome to the bones. I have to wear one of the braces that is used for carpel tunnel. Like I said 3 of my gingers I have bEen having a hard time moving. And noticed that there is a little discoloration. The brace is not that tight to cut off cirrculation.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for writing us back.

As I had already said, an x-ray is required to rule out any fracture.

In addition, there is possibility of ulnar nerve injury at wrist.

Therefore, I again suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination and get the X-ray of the affected area done.