Got hit on wrist. Started paining and swelling. What should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter hit the side do her wrist on the corner of a chair quite hard. The vein on the side of her wrist is swollen and she says it hurts a lot. She can move her fingers slightly. We are icing it. Is there anything else we should be doing? Should we be concerned?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
If there is pain on movement of the fingers and she is not able to hold a glass properly without an excruciating pain, a bone injury needs to be ruled out.
You can get an X-ray of her wrist done.
She can take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen for pain. Avoid lifting anything from the affected hand.
Continue icing the area. Do consult an orthopedician in case the swelling and pain increases.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Got hit on wrist. Started paining and swelling. What should be done? 7 minutes later
When she holds a glass she feels pain down the back of her forearm. Should we continue to ice it and monitor for a day or two before we take her to see her doctor? Or should she go sooner?

Thanks for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If she can hold a glass with a tolerable pain then it is likely to be a soft tissue injury. You can wait for 2-3 days for the symptoms to subside.
She can use an elastic wrist brace or a crepe bandage till then for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.