Got hit on upper buttocks. Bruise appeared and tender to touch. Any safe treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently fell down the stairs, landing HARD on my left upper buttocks. After applying ice and laying down for a few hours, it has swollen to the size of a grapefruit. It is a very dark bruise, and is tender. It's both awkward and painful to sit down, sit up, and walk. I can walk, however it's painful as I use my left side. It hurts to sit up from a sitting position, and cannot put all of my weight on the left side. The bruise is VERY big, hard, and is continuing to darken in color. There is no grating feeling, however putting pressure on key areas of the bruise hurts ALOT. The bruise is just beside the top of the crack. What should I do to ensure that:
a) there is no serious injury, especially to my back.
b) I can ensure a safe treatment immediately
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to a hematoma formation. To rule out any injury to the back and to find out the extent of the soft tissue injury, MRI of the lower back is the best investigation.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the hip joint. Have bed rest.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.