Got hit on thumb. Noticed swelling and the nail is discoloured. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I slammed the tip of my thumb in the car door. It is mildly swollen and the nail bed is discoloured purple & red. It's a bit numb but hurts like the dickens at the same time. Could it be broken? I'm icing it.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Since there is change in the color of the nail and there is a constant pain, a bone injury is a possibility and needs to be ruled out after an X-ray of the affected area. You can continue doing a cold compress in the meantime to decrease the swelling. Taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen will help in decreasing the pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.