Got hit on throat and feeling soreness when swallowing. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
hi... my 12 year old was kicked in the throat by his 3 year old cousin. he's breathing (no apparent damage to his airways) and seems to be drinking ok, but has some soreness when swallowing. I've given him throat lozengers to ease some of the discomfort, but is there anything we should be concerned with?
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that there is no need to worry at present.

The chances of any significant injury to any structures located in th throat and neck region is remote with this impact.

The important symptoms to watch for would be:

1. Difficulty in breathing due to injury to trachea (windpipe), which may be delayed sometimes, due to late setting in of swelling.

2. Difficulty in swallowing- due to injury to esophagus (food pipe)

3. Neck pain- either at rest or on neck movements- due to any injury to spine/vertebral bodies.

However, I feel that these are unlikely to develop in him.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Got hit on throat and feeling soreness when swallowing. Should I be concerned? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the response Dr. XXXXXXX We feel much better now and XXXXXXX appears to be back to his normal self. We'll keep an eye out for the symptoms you mentioned in your response.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you and best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM