Got hit on the chest area with wheelbarrow. Having pain while breathing. Should I consult orthopedic?

General Surgeon
Good morning. I am a 46 year old white male. General good health. I was helping a landscaping crew (my home) on Friday, moving dirt (wheelbarrow) and putting down sod. I moved the wheelbarrow full of dirt up a very steep slope about 9-10 times. Very hard work. We where moving at such an incline and over wooden plank path and I slipped with wheelbarrow in my hands. When I slipped going up the hill with the wheelbarrow full of dirt, the left arm of the wheelbarrow came crashing back into my left pectoral/upper rib area above the heart.
I thought that it may be a bad bruise. Yesterday, last night, this morning, the pain is very intense and I am taking short breaths to prevent movement which causes severe pain. Little coughs are killing me.
Should I physical go to a Walk-In clinic or wait until I can see my Orthopedic physician? Today is Easter Sunday.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Chest injuries even if does not seem to be serious can give significant traumas. Rib fracture and pneumothorax is quite often after such trauma and always should be ruled out. Especially that pneumothorax can be life threatening condition.
That is why it is strongly advisable for you to visit your doctor as soon as possible, have chest X-ray and ribs X-ray performed.
Please do not wait with it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.