Got hit on temple area. Swelling appeared around eye. Should I be concerned?

My son is at college in Weatherford OK, I just got a call from him, he was playing in a softball game, got hit with the softball on his left temple. It immediately caused his left eye to swell shut. He said he remembers everything, he sent me a picture it looks horrible. Is this XXXXXXX What should he do. I am three hours away. Worried mom
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
From your description that you have given, there are two possibilities for his injury:
1) injury to eye
2) Injury to head

If the injury has caused swelling and has made his eye shut, it cannot be commented on unless one has a look into his eye. However as you say that the trauma was on the temple and not directly on the eye, it may not be serious. Look for a black eye. if he does develop a black eye, then the concern is for the head.
if he has not lost consciousness and remember everything there is likely no trauma to his brain. If he has a black eye, do go for a CT scan. If he doesnt then you can be assured that the trauma was not significant.
Even afterwards you have to look for headache, double vision, vomitings and giddiness. Otherwise he should be fine.
The eye is the priority, get him to a eye specialist who can have a look into the eye.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.