Got hit on shoulder while playing. No bruise or swelling. Now pain in arm. What is wrong?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Pain when I move my right arm.

My friends and I were playing a game yesterday and my friend fell on me. I landed on my right side and she landed on top of my left shoulder. Now my right shoulder hurts when I move it in some positions such as lifting up high and reaching out in front of me and down low There's no bruising or swelling, just pain when I moved my arm. What do you think is wrong with my shoulder?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

From description it seems to be muscle strain over your right shoulder and arm. Due to this you have pain and difficult movement.
For quick healing, I suggest you -

Do not lift weight or do exercises that involves the painful muscles. Give proper rest to your shoulder and arm for 5-7 days.
Take antiinflamatory drug like ibuprofen (Motrin) as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.
Apply local antiinflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
Hot saline fomatation will help you.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon