Got hit on posterior leaf splint and bruise appeared. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i banged my XXXXXXX in football last thursday and the usual pain wore off within a few minutes and i played on, the next day i noticed a dent on the inside edge of my XXXXXXX bone by chance. There is no bruising of the skin and no pain when i walk, just a bruise type pain when you press on either side of the indentation and i have been walking around for the last 4 days with no issues. Should i be worried? Is it broken?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

According to your description, what you have might be posterior XXXXXXX splints.
XXXXXXX splints usually result from overuse. Repeated movements of the foot can cause damage where the tibialis muscles attach to the tibia. Soon the edge of the muscles may begin to pull away from the bone. The injured muscle and the bone covering (the periosteum) become inflamed.

I advise you to-

1. Take rest. It plays a key role in decreasing pain and inflammation.

2. Stop doing the activity that caused the problem, at least until their symptoms are under control.

3. Apply cold packs and take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin to calm pain and inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if there are other concerns

Wishing you good health...

Follow-up: Got hit on posterior leaf splint and bruise appeared. Should I be worried? 53 minutes later

When i run my finger down the inside of the XXXXXXX bone there is a feeling of 'hard bone' but on the site of the impact from clashed shins there is a clear indent in the bone (thats what it feels like to me anyway). Would the condition you describe 'posterior XXXXXXX splints' result from impact? Sorry for my confusion, just didnt know you could get XXXXXXX splints from an impact injury? Just wanted to confirm this. The indent is roughly half way up my lower leg between the ankle and knee. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
XXXXXXX splints often occur after sudden changes in physical activity and you could get it from an impact injury.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.