Got hit on nose and started bleeding. Bruise and small bump appeared on nose. Concerned

ENT Specialist
Yesterday my son banged his head into my nose. It hurt very badly and I immediately got a nosebleed. I have a little bruising but no real swelling. My nose is so tender and I feel like there is something stuck up my nose. I have had a headache since it happened. Other than a small bump on the top or my nose it looks normal. Should I have it checked out?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since this happened yesterday and the nose bleed has stopped, the worst is over. As there is only slight bruising and tenderness with headache, a mild painkiller and local antiseptic ointment will help.

2. An ice pack and pinching the nose helps in the initial few hours.

3. The nose can bleed like a garden hose and hence a small nose bleed is not alarming.

4. However, you should get your nose examined to rule out the following:
a. Blood clots obstructing the nose
b. A fracture of the nasal bones below the tender area. If there is no 'crepitus' (crackling), an X-ray of the Skull to look for nasal bone fracture is advised.

5. If there is no nasal bone fracture, or even a small un-displaced fracture and no blood clot or discharge is seen in the nose, no active treatment is required except observation. Steam inhalation is not recommended for a few days.

I must emphasize that this is a common injury as the nose is the most prominent part of the face and that there is no cause for worry. How old is your child? Usually, the children do not get hurt as the blow glances off the skull.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.