Got hit on lip. Noticed swelling and having tingling sensation. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
My niece headbutted my bottom right lip and it got swollen and its been like that for 2 weeks now. But now it feels tingly and its kinda white. i dont know how to heal it or if its infected or anything..
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that that there was no bleeding, laceration, even on the inside of the lower lip and only blunt trauma.

2. Application of ice or an ice pack is ideal in the first few hours. Was this done? What is the status of your tetanus immunization?

3. Swelling even after two weeks means that there is a persisting inflammation. This may be due to reasons such as:
a. Difficulty in immobilizing the injured area.
b. Underlying fractures or dental injury. This may require X-rays.
c. A foreign body such as a chipped tooth or dental plaque embedded inside the lip.
d. Action of Saliva delaying the healing. This will also cause the inside lip to look white instead of pink.
e. Active infection.

4. The tingly feel may be due to edema and inflammation. If the injured lip is looking white or pale on the outside, there may be a compromise of the blood supply.

5. It is time to seek the prescription of a doctor for a course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medication such as painkillers and chymotrypsin, anti allergic and local heat fomentation. Local gels and a medicated oral rinse may help.

6. You may upload images of the outer side and the inner side of the lower lip for an accurate assessment.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.