Got hit on leg. Noticed swelling and redness. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I banged my leg in the middle on the bone of my leg bone against the iron gate fence, and it was swollen like a ball, swelling went down and now its looking red below the area that I banged. What does that mean? Thanks not alot of brusing yet. Its not as sore as it was. Thanks
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later

In your case, it might be soft tissue injury or fracture. Since these are difficult to differentiate from each other without a X-ray, I would suggest that you see your physician for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, ice the affected area and take anti-inflammatory drug like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required with food (upto 4 tablets daily) . Avoid putting weight on the affected leg and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.