Got hit on leg. Have swelling and soreness below knee. Worrisome

I had a horse kick my leg very hard down at the XXXXXXX bone 9 days ago, my leg from the knee down is still swollen 9 days after the injury of course very sore... Why is the leg still swollen...?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling of any aspect of the body occurs as a inflammatory response. It can occur as a result of trauma or infection due to the release of chemicals in the blood stream that promote movement of fluid from inside the cells to the outside.This movement of fluids results in swelling.

The image that you sent demonstrates an open lesion to your leg and your body will still be releasing inflammatory mediators to respond to this resulting in continued swelling.
Swelling would also occur if there is any injury to the bone or as a result of infection so you may want to rule this out by an xray and review by your doctor,if it has not been done already. Other indicators of infection would be an increased warmth compared to the other leg, excess redness and discharge.

If you can use anti inflammatory medication to dampen the inflammatory response it would help. This would include medications such as ibuprofen/cataflam/voltaren/celebrex.

If possible to obtain,the use a compressing bandage would also help with the swelling.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions