Got hit on leg. Bruise appeared. On blood thinning tablets. Any advice?

hello Doctors
I banged my leg on the bed, whilst in hospital got massive bruise
now I am at home on blood thinning tablets as I had a procedure done on my heart
the bruise has nearly gone after three weeks ,, but I have a large lump inside where the bruise was
I am worried about this
can you give me any advice,,

Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of details, this lump at the site of bruise is very likely to be a subcutaneous hematoma.

I think you should get a sonography done to know size and status of hematoma.

If the hematoma seems fresh with potential of re-bleed then this might need treatment.

Doctor can suggest pressure bandage on this to prevent further bleed.Doctor will also like to check your blood coagulation status and modify your blood thinners accordingly if needed.

Hope this answers your question.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.