Got hit on ice and injured my knee. Tender to touch and feels like bruise. Is this serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question

I banged by knee on ice a few times very hard while snowboarding. I didn't end up with any major busies but a very sore and tender knee. It's gotten better but it's been 2 months and still it is tender when any amount of pressure is placed on it. Even fitted jeans I cant wear without bothering my knee. It feels like a bruise but I have no bruise I can see. Is this something major>
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

From description it seems you might developed knee tendonitis.It is the inflammation of tendon as a result of trauma.
Do not worry, it is not something major. It will heal with proper rest and taking antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen (Motrin) as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Follow-up: Got hit on ice and injured my knee. Tender to touch and feels like bruise. Is this serious? 2 days later
Thank you so much for the info. Glad to know it's nothing major. Next time I go snowboarding I'll be sure to invest in knee pads first.

Best regards, XXXXXXX

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.
Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health....

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon