Got hit on head and noticed swelling. Having constant pressure in temple area. Is this normal?

Nov 2013

I was hit on the left side of my head three nights ago with a lot of force. I didn't have much pain except to the touch at first with light swelling. I have had a constant pressure and now a light pain from my temple that stretches to almost the top of my crown (the length of a fist.) I was also hit in the eye, and am now having a pain in my eye and around my brow, but I don't think it was from the initial hit since there was only light bruising along the rim at the bottom. This is also on my left side. Is this normal or should I go to the hospital?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The pain and swelling are the result of impact due to the hit.
Hwever, the symptoms reported by you are minor and should settle down with symptomatic treatment.
It is possible to have pain in the areas described by you, as it can radiate along the nerves in the skin (and other superficial nerves).
You could take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac to reduce the pain and swelling.
Right now, there is no need to go to the hospital.
If you develop severe headache, recurrent vomiting, double vision or drowsiness, you should go to the hospital and get a CT scan of head done.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist