Got hit on head. Noticed dilated pupil. Feeling nauseous. Worried for serious brain injury

Nov 2013

Hi I had a small bump on the head this evening I bumped my head on my low ceiling. I didn't black out and haven't vomited, however I noticed that my pupils were slightly dilated a few hours after the bump. I have been to my local emergency room where I saw the nurse, she said pupils were normally reactive to light and equal in size. She did mention that they were slightly dilated but said this could be due to my heightened anxiety at the time. I am a tiny bit nauseous and they feel a little dilated but I'm not sure whether they are or not. I'm terrified
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your findings do not suggest any significant XXXXXXX brain injury.

I agree with your nurse that mild dilation of pupils can occur with anxiety.

Please watch for signs such as vomiting, severe headache, blurred or double vision, weakness of one arm or leg, decreased alertness and fits, which could suggest a severe head injury. If any of them develop, you could get a CT scan of the brain done.

As of now, there is no need to worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad