Got hit on head. Not feeling dizzy or nauseous. Have generalized anxiety disorder. What should I do?

Sep 2012

Hi, not a XXXXXXX but wanted to XXXXXXX before Florida trip. Went to tanning bed today for 10 minutes. Upon getting out of bed, the top fell and hit side of my left head (not temple region). Heard a cracking sound-not sure if it was my head or the plastic of the top of the bed. It scared me terribly, am not dizzy or nauseaous, but a slight dull ache radiating to my left eyebone/cheekbone. Happened a little over 1 hr. ago. I drove 8 miles home. I live in a resort area that is remote and nearest hospital is 30 min. away with ER's always busy on weekends. What should I do? I have generalized anxiety disorder and tend to over-react at times. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Firstly, do not panic.
If the table top is of plastic made, then it is very unnatural to get any fracture in the skull bones. As you have slight dull pain radiating to left eyebone, then it is not so much severe.

Now, you should do the followings:
1. Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (like acetaminophen) for lowering the pain.
2. Take a proton pump inhibitor (like pantoprazole) group of drugs before taking the anti-inflammatory drugs.
3. Be cautious about any feeling of nausea, vomiting, vertigo, increased headache. In that case you have to go to ER for CT Scan and for further investigation and management. Till then you need not to Worry.

Summary : Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug for lowering pain. If you do not feel any of the above mentioned symptoms, you need not to worry.

Hope, the information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Got hit on head. Not feeling dizzy or nauseous. Have generalized anxiety disorder. What should I do? 3 hours later
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
If you are satisfied, then pleas close this discussion.