Got hit on head. Feeling dizzy and fatigued. MRI done. Suggest to rest for a month. Is this the good suggestion?

Neurologist, Surgical
I live in Shenyang, China and my partner got hit by a car trying to cross the busy street by the orphanage where we work with handicapped Chinese orphans. The police report stated that she was thrown 2 meters and landed on the back of her head resulting in a concussion and the usual bruises, etc. I don't speak enough Mandarin to speak to doctors to find out if the concussion is a cause for her chronic dizziness and fatigue. This happened almost two weeks ago. She has had 2 ct scans of her head and neck and an MRI of the same area. She is currently in the hospital, largely, I believe because she is afraid to be elsewhere feeling as she currently does: dizzy if she moves very much, balance off and made worse by the trauma to her left leg in which there were no bones broken. I've been told that resting for at least a month is indicated. Is that a good suggestion? She is a "type a" personality and hates to be away from the orphans in her care. I need some ammunition to tell her from a professional to REST! Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 6 hours later
Dear Sir,

I have read through the details with diligence. It looks like she did suffer from a concussion injury to the brain. Dizziness at times happens with head & neck injuries, even if the head & neck MRI scans are normal. I hope MRI brain and cervical spine scans were normal. If there was abnormality seen on the scan, I would wish to know about it.

Presuming the scans were normal, I suggest the following:

1. Complete bed rest for at least 2 weeks
2. She can be given tablet betahistine or flunarizine under medical supervision. They should be able to relieve her symptoms.
3. Regular controlled physiotherapy
4. Detailed ENT (ear/nose/throat) examination by an expert to rule out vestibular problems
5. Proper and healthy diet
6. Maintenance of blood sugar and electrolytes optimally
7. Repeating MRI whole spine and brain scans if needed to rule out minor injuries.

With these measures she should be able to recover. You should discuss about these with her and encourage her to remain positive. Things will be pretty OK very soon.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

I wish you good luck and your partner a speedy recovery.

Dr Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon