Got hit on hand. Numbness appeared and noticed small lumps on vein. Worrisome

Dec 2012

I knocked my hand quite hard and it went numb and the veins protruded and looks like small lumps pumping through them? Blood im guessing ? Why is that?i also fell back onto my hand 3 days ago and think I dislocated my elbow as the bone is like more prominent than usual although no dramatic swelling or pain unless I knock it then it really hurts?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting,

I really do not think there is much to be worried about from the first knock of your hand. What happened there after is a simple reaction of your vessels, muscles and nerves (which is normal after a hit). That is an inflammatory process that occurs after a trauma. That should fade up a few minutes to hours. Use of ice parks can help with cooling down the pain and the swelling.
The second description about the fall looks like a mild dislocation but the only way to determine that for sure is getting examined by a doctor and he/she probably requesting for an X-ray scan (fractures are possible but very unlikely given the low energy occurrence of the trauma during the fall).
If you feel much pain, take some analgesia, use ice parks and try some massage with topical steroids.

Hope this helps and write back if you got further questions.
Dr Nsah