Got hit on forehead. Noticed redness and pain on head. Should I visit ER?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Yestarday night I got hit on my forehead by mistake on a swinging door. Although their is no visible XXXXXXX except a slightly red skin on the forehead. However ever since the morning I have been feeling a strong throbbing pain on that side of my head..I just wanted to know whether this is normal or I should get a check up
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

It is quite normal to get headaches after mild head injury, and I feel that is the case with you too.

As of now, there is no need to worry or show to a doctor. You can take Ibuprofen tablet for pain relief.

Please watch for the following warning symptoms:

Severe headache,
repeated vomiting,
double vision,
severe dizziness,
fits, etc.

If any of the above occur, please consult a doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Got hit on forehead. Noticed redness and pain on head. Should I visit ER? 2 minutes later
Hey XXXXXXX
Thanks for the help. I am not feeling any symptom except for the severe headache.
I would take a tablet. If it persists then I should go to the Doctor.
Is that right?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Your plans seems to be fine. Please take the tablet what I suggested above or other options are diclofenac, paracetamol, naproxen, aceclofenac, etc.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)