Got hit on forehead. Having black eye and headache. Is this a minor consequence of the shock?

I fell over 10 days ago at work on the pathway outside & hit my forehead very hard on the ground. I had an enormous black eye, which has nearly got better. However my head/ my brain hurts...not a throbbing headache but a continuous dull ache every day since the accident. I didn't have double vision, nor lost consciousness, no vomiting - just this dull ache. Is this a minor consequence of the shock or something more sinister.
XXXXXXX (nearly 59 years of age/Teacher)
I did go to A & E on the day...I was told I had hit my supraorbital ridge bone in my skull & had broken a capillary where the blood pooled around the left eye due to gravity. No tests or X-rays were carried out. Should I be worried about the continous dull headache that I still have?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury.
An impact on head causes a rebound injury to the other side of the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the headache you have.
You can self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately for further investigations like MRI.
Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury and on the eye and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
It is likely to subside gradually.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.