Got hit on finger. X-ray showed no fracture. Feeling pain and difficulty in bending fingers. Any cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I RECENTLY HURT MY PINKY FINGER ON MY LEFT HAND WHILE BATTING DOWN A FOOTBALL. I HAD IT X-RAYED WITH NO FRACTURES. IT TURNED A BLUISH COLOR WITHIN 15 MIN AND HAS STAYED FOR 4 DAYS THAT WAY. I CANNOT BEND IT WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT PAIN. I SEEM TO BE EXPERIENCING A FATIGUE IN MY FOREARM ON THE SAME ARM AND MY HAND. I HAVE SLINTED IT FOR 3 OF THE FOUR DAYS. HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO FEEL BETTER AND RETURN IF IT IS JUST A BRUISE AS EXPECTED
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

It might be a soft tissue injury to your little finger, as x-rays shows no fracture.

Bruise over finger generally takes 7-10 days to heal.

Take anti-inflammatory drug like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet 2-3 times a day with food to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well. Warm compresses will also help with the pain.

If it persists, I suggest you to consult your general physician for a detailed examination for any ligament injury.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.