Got hit on elbow and movable lump appeared. Allergic to codene. Suggest effective medication

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Awhile back I hit my elbow against the wall really hard. Since then i have had this lump on the tip of it that feels lke the bone chipped off. I can still move my arm fine and extend it also. There is no pain when i move it but sometimes if i put pressure on it, it hurts.Also the lump is moveable. It's almost like a knee cap, it can move back and forth. Compared to my other elbow it feels like the tip is bigger, and less rounded. Also seems like there is extra "junk" surrounding the movable "tip". I am 25 years old, 195 lbs, 6'3". Alergic to codene and no medical conditions other than a heart murmur.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
From your description it seems that you have fractured your olecranon process.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid movement around the elbow. Use an arm sling.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.