Got hit on elbow. Big knot appeared. What should I do?

Pediatrician
Question
My 10 year old fell and hit his elbow now there is a big knot but its soft? Is that fluid and what should I do?

YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Though you have provided a good image but the following information would help me in giving you a definite response:
1. How long back did the injury occur?
2. How long after the injury was the swelling noted?
3. Is the swelling increasing?
4. Is the swelling painful?
5. Is there pain in moving the elbow joint?
If the swelling is not painful and the movement of the elbow joint is not restricted then I think you need not worry about it. If it occured today itself then apply cold compresses on it so that it does not increase in size.

If there is mild pain then you can add Tyenol 1/2 tab. three to four times a day to reduce pain.

If there is restriction in moving the elbow joint then it would be better to take your son to the ER for a x-ray of the elbow joint.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

RKK