Got hit on cheekbone. Why am I feeling concussion?

General Surgeon
Hi I hit my cheekbone pretty hard a week ago, I don't have much headache just find I sometimes am a little out of balance and when clenching something with my hands I sometimes feel its like a third party.... I've been to the doctor and he ruled out concussion (I have had one before) so my question is why do I feel like this and what's the length of recovery?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

What you are suffering from is most likely labyrinth concussion. This condition is caused by XXXXXXX ear blood flow impede and XXXXXXX ear fluids impede. It results with dizziness, noises in the ears, sometimes nausea, hand shaking etc. It can last some time after the head trauma. Moreover, such out of balance feeling can be caused by insignificant brain injury.
If you feel this is getting worse, you should visit neurologist and laryngologist(especially if dizziness and ear noise appears). You may need head CT to make sure no serious brain injures has been done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Got hit on cheekbone. Why am I feeling concussion? 29 minutes later
Ok thank you, it's been the same for the past three days now... When can I return back to exercising and being Christmas would a drink here and there be a bad idea?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later

I suggest you to have rest for another week or so (usually such symptoms are gone during 2-3 weeks). Drinking is not a good idea as long as you have such symptoms as an alcohol affects balance area in the brain and can make your healing longer or your symptoms worse.

Hope this will help.