Got hit on cheek. Started feeling pain, swelling and numbness. How long will it take to get cured?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Was punched in cheek a week ago right under cheek bone swelling went down but still swollen and a little numb with minor pain about how long will this take to heal?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later

The very fact that the swelling is not subsiding suggests the possibility of an underlying fracture. I would suggest you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon and get yourself clinically examined as well as radiologically (X-ray/ CT scan) investigated. This will detect any fracture with or without any injury to facial nerve or serious injury - which will enable you to seek proper treatment.

You might have nerve damage which may be the cause of numbness.

The amount of recovery you will have depends on the severity of injury detected on the radiological tests. Nerve injuries can take several weeks to heal.

Therefore I urge to consult an orthopedician / facial surgeon at the earliest. .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Good luck!!!