Got hit on back of head. Started feeling dizzy and have mild headache. Is this normal?

Neurologist
Question
Hi, my Dad fell and hit the back of his head against the floor at home yesterday. After the knock on the head, he fell dizzy and mild headache for the whole morning and afternoon. The dizziness subsided in the evening. Today, he is much better, but with a little dizziness left. Is this normal? Note that no other symptoms are present (this is also the case immediately after the fall).
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 31 minutes later
At his age even the trivial trauma to the head can be a cause of concern. The blood pipes are fragile in elderly and so they rupture easily. The blood can accumulate slowly and can cause symptoms later.
Since he is still symptomatic 1 day after the fall, so I would recommend to get him investigated by a doctor. A CT scan of the head may be required to see if everything is normal inside the head.
However since he is improving and other symptoms suggestive of severe injury to brain are not present so scan is most likely to be normal except for the changes of old surgery.
Hope that answers your query. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck !!

Follow-up: Got hit on back of head. Started feeling dizzy and have mild headache. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your response.

You mentioned "However since he is improving and other symptoms suggestive of severe injury to brain are not present so scan is most likely to be normal except for the changes of old surgery XXXXXXX

What do you mean by XXXXXXX ...except for the changes of old surgery XXXXXXX ?

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 9 minutes later
It was mentioned in the medical history that he has undergone treatment for brain tumor in the past. Following such operation there is likely to be a scar which can persist and be seen on the subsequent scans of the patient. That is what I meant by 'changes of old surgery'.
good luck.