Got hit on ankle. Swelling and bruise appeared with severe pain. Any advice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi..i hurt my ankle two days ago when by accident my husband bumped the back of my foot with a shopping hurt quite bad and the next day the area around my ankle and the back of my foot was bruised and a little swollen and I feel constant throbbing pain that radiates up the back of my leg all the way upto my calf. I would appreciate any advice.
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

From the description it seems to be a soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, apply ice packs to the affected area, anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopedic Surgeon.