Got hit in the temple area. Red swelling appeared. What are the dangers?

Hi, my bf got hit in the temple area just now, and now it is swollen about 1-2 cm and slightly red. what are the dangers?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The fellow has got a bruise which indicates severe local injury.
The bump is made if inflamed tissue and blood in tissues called a hematoma.
If he did not become unconscious or did not have vomiting then probably nothing much is needed beyond painkillers like Ultracet orally 8hourly for 3-4 days.
If he had any of above mentioned symptoms then he need to get a CT Brain plain.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Got hit in the temple area. Red swelling appeared. What are the dangers? 2 minutes later
Hi, thanks you for your time. He did not vomit or lose consciousness, but it is still swollen and it it has little red strings, probably from the broken capillaries. How long does it usually take until the swelling is gone, and what normal symptoms should we expect the next few hours/days?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 48 minutes later
Welcome back to HCM!
a of that size would remain there for coming four five days.
The blood would change it's color like this Red-Bluish-Black-Yellowish and would fade away to normal color. In the process size of bruise would increase and about 20 days time span would be needed till the normal skin color is restored.
You do not need to do anything, just wait & watch only.
I hope your query has been resolved.
Follow-up: Got hit in the temple area. Red swelling appeared. What are the dangers? 29 minutes later
Thank you for your help, we will keep an eye on it. Hope you have a nice day!
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Nice to get a feedback from you.
You can put a follow up query whenever you need.
And do not forget to put a great Review for me and to refer the needy in your circle.
Have great time ahead!