Got high vitamin test result. Calcium was in normal range. Is it serious?

Question

I am a 36 year old female. I went for blood work and by mistake my Doctor ordered the wrong Vitamin D Test. He ordered a D 1, 25 dihydroxy test instead. My level was high and out of range. The range was 72 and mine was 99. This greatly concerns me as from what I read this is a bad indicator. My calcium was within normal range. I had a re-test today along with other blood work. Please advise what this can be and what type of concern I should have.
Thank you
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
the metabolite measured is the active form of Vitamin D. Vitamin D 1, 25 dihydroxide is the active form already. It is important in the reabsorption of Calcium in the intestines and kidneys.
Its good the calcium levels were normal. Vitamin D 1, 25 dihydroxide levels are rarely high in diseases such as sarcoidosis, which is a multi systemic disease, lymphomas and parathyroid dysfunction.
However it is very non specific and is usually used to measure or monitor success of calcium supplementation. The test might really be very non specific.
I f results of the test indicate still high valued, sarcoidosis, lymphomas and parathyroid status should be checked. Controlling serum electrolytes especially blood calcium levels agin could be helpful.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Got high vitamin test result. Calcium was in normal range. Is it serious? 5 hours later
Thank you. Can you tell me what you mean by non specific and are there any other benign reasons this would be elevated? Should I be terribly concerned?

Hi and thanks for the query,
non specific and idiopathic means an elevation whose cause is not actually known for the moment. Benign means causes that cause really no harm. I do not think its time to really be worried. Stay calm till you see your internist physician for a complete reevaluation. It s not worth being worried, but its worth being sure.
Eliminating sarcoidosis, lymphomas, parathyroid disease, which of course are rare and confirming the test results all over is important.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.