Got hepatitis B vaccination. After shot experienced redness, swelling and pain at site of injection. Why is it persisting?

Question
I am 35 years old and recently got a hepatitis b vaccination for enrollment to nursing school. After the shot I had redness, swelling and pain at the site of injection. Those things went away in about 2 days but a knot at the site persists. It's hard at the site and has me very concerned.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Some times after the vaccine a local lump forms which is due to local irritation of muscles.
This is a normal reaction and it goes away in few days.
Keep an eye on the Lump for redness,swelling,warmth,size of the lump( whether it is same or increasing in size).If such thing happens,it means local infection at the injection site has taken place and then you should consult your doctor.
But as long as it is just a knot,it is perfectly normal and you don't have to worry for it.
In case you have any other query please feel free to contact me at any time.
Thanks and best of luck

Follow-up: Got hepatitis B vaccination. After shot experienced redness, swelling and pain at site of injection. Why is it persisting? 50 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply. It sounds like I just need to give it time, my only concern is that it's been over a week (almost two) and the knot is still there. Shouldn't it have gone away by now? How long do you think I should give it to heal on it's own?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 56 minutes later
Hello
As I told you earlier,if there is no swelling or redness or there is no increase in size,it is not be worried upon.
Sometimes this type of knot may remain for many weeks.
Relax and don't worry.
Thanks

Follow-up: Got hepatitis B vaccination. After shot experienced redness, swelling and pain at site of injection. Why is it persisting? 9 hours later
Thank you so much!

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello
You are most welcome and best of luck.
Thanks