Got health check up done. LFT was not good. Have elevated AST and ALT. What are the consequences?

hi, i recently got my helath care check up done. After the test, the result of my LFT was not good. My SGOT(AST) was 107, SGPT(ALT) was 193. The Gamma G.T. was 130 and teh Bilirubin direct was 0.5. Could you please tell me the consequences of the same?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The normal range can vary slightly from lab to lab but in general the normal range for AST is 5 to 40 u/l and ALT 7 to 56 u/l, normal range for GGT is 6 to 37 u/l.

AST and ALT are found in different parts of the body including the liver, they would be increased if there is any damage to the liver from any cause such as infection, alcohol, fatty liver disease (the build up of fat in the liver - this is actually worse with a high carbohydrate diet).

Gamma GT is used to assess the biliary tracts or passages in the liver where bile passes through, assess the function of the liver and to detect the use of alcohol.It would go up with excess alcohol use, any obstruction blocking the bild passages such as stones , side effect on some medication.

Even though the values are above the normal range , it is possible at the present value that your liver may still be able to function however it is important to identify the cause to prevent any further damage.
At the present value your liver will still be able to work.

Your doctor will determine what is the likely cause of the increases so that it can be treated or eliminated.

IF it is due to a side effect of medication- this can be cut out.

IF it is related to an infection such as hepatitis then this can be treated and the liver would be monitored to see how fast it recovers

If it is related to alcohol use , then it would be important to decrease intake.

If it is related to high intake of carbohydrates then this can be reduced by reducing the use of sodas/fruit drinks/ rice/pasta/pastry/potatoes/bread/biscuits and using increased amount of protein.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions