Got headache and started sneezing. Allergy test showed normal. What could be the problem?

ENT Specialist
For some reason my wife start sneezing as soon as she get up from a bed every morning, then some sort of hot flushes come right after that.Her face became red with headache and it last for about 10 to 20 minutes. When she sneeze during day nothing happened everything is normal,no flushes or anything else. She is 44 years old. We saw allergist specialist, he took allergic test on her and she is not allergic to anything. This been lasting for 8 months now.Please help us if possible. We saw all doctors that could help us with this and no one know what could be the problem. We dont know what to do now. Thank you
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. She may be having a non-specific allergy such as sneezing due to sudden change in temperature, stepping onto a cold floor, exposure to light, breeze, water and so on.

2. Frontal and sphenoid sinusitis should be ruled out. a post nasal drip from these nasal sinuses would cause symptoms in the morning after getting up, but not through the day. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) would be of help.

3. Do you have detailed nasal examination notes? The appearance of the nose from inside may give clues as to the cause.

4. Request your doctor to start an anti-histamine (leocetrizine/ loratidine/ rupatidine/ fexofenadine), an anti-leukotriene (montelukast), a steroid nasal spray (mometasone/ fluticasone/ ciclesonide) and regular steam inhalation; all at night since the symptoms are worse in the morning. This trial should lat at least 15 days.

5. You may follow up with the results of this trial of medication and results of the investigations for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.