Got head injury, headache, dizziness and vomiting after drinking alcohol. Should I visit ER?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
4 nights ago, I drank a pretty good amt. of wine with my sisters during a girls weekend. I woke the next morning and had been vomiting during the night. I had a severe headache that felt like a migraine and dizziness. I then realized I had hit my head during the night near my lft. temple. I had a bruise there and tenderness. I have no memory of hitting my head at all. I continued to vomit and had dry heaves and the severe headache for several hrs. I felt slightly better that afternoon and carried on with the weekend. I continue to improve every day, but still have a dull headache, slight sinus-like pressure, and ringing in ears. I now think I may have sustained a mild concussion. Should I go get checked out, or just continue to take it easy.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 25 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From your history and description of symptoms, it appears that you have sustained a significant head injury. This is indicated by:
- severe headache following the injury
- recurrent vomiting
- local bruising
- persistent headache and ringing of the ears (after 4 days of the injury)

Though you say that you are continuing to improve, yet certain persisting symptoms like ringing of the ears is worrying. Moreover, the temporal area is relatively a delicate area and very prone for XXXXXXX injuries. Also, in certain cases of internal bleeding, there can be a transient improvement initially followed by a subsequent worsening.

So, I would advise you to have a proper evaluation (including a CT scan) done at the earliest.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist