Got head injury. Swelling on forehead not getting cured. What should I do?

I fell face first onto concrete 4 and 1/2 weeks ago. Did not lose consciousness or any other concussion like symptoms. Went to the doctor the next day and said ill be fine, just a little banged up. Had a huge swelling on my forehead for about a week, 2 black eyes included. Everything has healed but about 2 weeks ago after the swelling went away on my forehead, I got a dime sized bump where the impact had been. I've been watching it closely but now I'm getting paranoid that it won't go away. It looks slightly purple. It does not hurt. Is this normal? And should I do anything?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

In the acute stage of the trauma that you experienced there was a large swelling which resolved to leave a mass on your forehead. The initial swelling would have been composed of blood within the skin from damage to the underlying tissues as well as other fluid which would have left their normal cells/space. This movement of fluid occurs as part of the body's inflammatory response.
During healing, there is also formation of extra tissue or scar tissue part of which happens beneath the skin, some of the blood and other fluid is also involved in this process and can contribute to the scar formation.
The lump that you are feeling is likely the result of this fibrosis (hardening of the tissues and scar formation that occurs in healing).
It can take weeks to months to resolve in some persons. If it is bothering you, in terms of discomfort or cosmetically, then you can speak to your doctor about removal.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Got head injury. Swelling on forehead not getting cured. What should I do? 7 hours later
Thank you, this helps. I didn't ice the bump when the accident happened, I'm assuming that would've helped. Is there anything I can do now? Or is too late and now just wait?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, it may have helped by reducing the initial swelling. You can consider waiting another few weeks (2 to 3) because the process of remodelling the skin and scar area may still be occurring and may result in some improvement.
If you feel this is too long a period for you, you may want to consult your doctor for an evaluation.

Please feel free to ask any other questions