Got head injury. Suffered a concussion, pressure in head and felt a dent on head. Is this common?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Two years ago, someone placed my metal chair up on my locker at work. The chair crashed down on my head and I suffered a concussion. I don't remember passing out, but my peripheral vision blacked out, and my head and ears were filled with pain/pressure. I now suffer from persistent migraines (never had those prior to the injury). I also noticed that I can feel a 'dent' in the area where the chair impacted. Is having a dent common after trauma to the head? Will it ever fill out? I never had a dent before.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 53 minutes later

1. Dent on the skull indicates that you might have had a fracture of the skull bone. Usually, linear fracture heals by itself. A depressed fracture can leave behind varying degree of dent on the skull. X-Ray Skull (AP and Lateral view) can help us know the type of skull injury.

As 2 years have passed since the injury, the fracture or the dent is unlikely to cause any concerns now. So you need not worry. However I don't think that will fill up now.

2. Post traumatic headaches can occur after head injury because some part of the brain can become hypersensitive and can transmit the pain signal to other parts of brain. Are you having headache on one side only or generalized headache?

Migraine headache are present on one side only and can be triggered by some factors like less sleep, missed meal, cigarette smoking, stress - both physical and psychological, dairy products. Please maintain a headache diary so that you can note the factors which are triggering the headaches and avoid those factors.

I hope you had a MRI/CT done at the time of injury. If not, please get one done to see if there is any XXXXXXX damage to the brain - Please mention the report of the scan.

I will also like to know whether you are hypertensive. Please also mention your blood pressure recordings.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further concerns, I will be happy to help.