Got head injury. Started slurred speech, trouble in concentrating and focusing. Should I be concerned?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I sustained a concussion from getting hit in the head with a baseball in May 2012. I had slurred speech, trouble concentrating and focusing. My husband says I have a very short temper, which is totally out of character and very emotional. I am finally back to work, but when stress levels rise, I feel sore spots and tenderness on different parts of my head. Shortly following the concussion, it felt like I was being stung a million times in the head, or my hair was being pulled out. It is a milder sensation now and only under stress. MRI showed no cranial bleeds, but DID reveal that I had suffered a stroke years prior, that I was unaware of!!
Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 35 minutes later

Concussion is due to some biochemical changes in the brain tissue and no structural damage occurs. Therefore MRI is usually normal in concussion. The symptoms that you have mentioned may be seen in a few cases of concussion. Healing of concussion can take few weeks. Recovery is quickened if you give proper rest to your body. Along with doing physical rest, avoid watching television and text messaging.

The stroke you suffered few years back must be a Silent stroke with no clinical symptoms. But now you should take extra precautions to prevent another attack of stroke which can be more harmful.

You should have control over the risk factors of stroke like high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, diabetes, smoking, alcohol consumption, etc.

If possible get the following investigations done :-
1. Lipid Profile
2. Blood sugar (Fasting and PP)
3. ECG

As you have mentioned, the symptoms of concussion are getting better, it shows you are recovering. Have some more patience as it takes some time to heal. With proper rest, you will much better.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.
I wish you good health.