Got head injury. Started nose bleeding and breathing from mouth. What should I do?

Nov 2013

My two year old daughter had a head on collision while playing. She had a bleeding nose.
She is saying no while we're trying to touch her nose and was crying.
She has felt asleep now and the nose bleed has stopped.
She seems to be breathing from mouth.
Nose doesn't seem to have any swelling. It may have very mild swelling. But doesn't seem to have any visible swellinjg as such. Bleeding has stopped completely.
She is sleeping now. We're worried. Could you tell us if we need to take her to emergency?
What should we watch for?
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I wish to reassure you that your daughter seems to be out of danger and is not having signs of any serious injury.

The injury seems to be a local one, causing injury in the nose (affecting the soft tissues), causing the nasal bleeding.

Bleeding has stopped now, and formed crusts inside the nose. That explains the mouth breathing.

The injury to head, if at all, is likely to be a trivial one. Please watch for vomiting, drowsiness, etc. If they occur, you should take her to ER, otherwise keep her at home.

Regarding nose examination, you could take her to ENT OPD tomorrow.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad