Got head injury. Started getting headache and swelling appeared. Cause of concern?

General Surgeon
I fell yesterday and hit my head/temple on the edge of a coffee table. It is swollen and I still have a minor head ache. I am a 63 year old female.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Head trauma is always very XXXXXXX kind of injury. It is because you never know if the brain has been injured or not. Moreover, temple is kind of weakest part of the skull. And with age vessels are getting weaker and rupture of it becomes more possible.
All this facts together indicate that you should have some diagnostics. Head ache can be caused by soft tissues trauma but it can be also a result of brain injury. Other symptoms which you should be aware of are nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, tiredness.
It is advisable at your case to visit your doctor and have your head checked with CT.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.