Got head injury. No dizziness or vomiting. Noticed black eye after few days. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
I fell and hit my head last Wednesday. No sign of concussion (ie no dizziness, vomiting, spots, etc.) Big lump on my head but no open wound. I woke up three days later with a black eye--just one black eye--which is better now, as in the bruising is diminishing after looking spectacular for a couple of days. I assume this is blood seeping down from the head trauma. But do I need to see the ER? I've heard most skull fractures are fine untreated unless there is evidence of brain injury like dizziness, memory loss, nausea, etc. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You have heard correctly. Most of the skull fractures (especially) in the facial area does not need any treatment as the skull is very stable structure. So even if it were broken, most likely no surgery is necessary or any other medical help.
The bruise which has appeared around your eye is quite common after head traumas. It can indicate broken bone, but not necessarily. Such bruise can be present for even 2-3 weeks and will be changing colors in that time (to green and yellow).
It is almost a week from your trauma and if there were any brain injury, you would have notice it.
Symptoms which indicate brain injury are: nausea, vomiting, strange headache, dizziness, blurred vision, lost of consciousness, memory loss.
If none of this symptoms is present, no further investigation is needed after a week from the trauma.

Hope this will help.