Got head injury. Getting nausea, dizzy, blurred vision and swelling. Tender to touch. Worrisome

Nov 2013

Hit top of my head last week on bureau. Had swelling and sore to the touch but no dizziness or nausea , or blurred vision. It feels better now but I have a lump on the back of my head on the left side, the same side that I hit. It feels very sore and tender to the touch. Do not know if it is related. Could it be a bug bit as I am in Fla? I took a zyrtec and the swelling seems to have gone down a little.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological problem.

The most likely cause of your swelling is scalp hematoma (collection of blood under the skin). This occurs due to the injury, and may get unnoticed in the initial period. It does not require any specific treatment, and would resolve on its own in a few days. For pain, however, you may take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.

As you mentioned, it could be due to a bug bite. But in that case, there would be more itching and less pain.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist