Got head injury. Feeling dizzy and lump appeared on head. Is there any complication?

3 weeks ago I feel and struck my head on a brass drawer handle, knocking myself out for a few seconds. I was too dizzy to stand for a few minutes. My husband had to assist me with standing. I had a very large lump just below the crown of my head with what has turned out to be a pretty significant dent in my skull. The knot when down to a large degree but the indention in my skull is still there. How XXXXXXX is this 3 weeks after the original injury?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 37 minutes later

Thank you for posting this question.

The severity of brain injury following trauma to head depends upon the associated complaints and neurological deficits. The presence of symptoms like vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, bleeding from nose, ear, black eye, weakness of hands/legs, etc., would point towards the possibility of brain injury. The local swelling (the side of impact), injury may not help guide a physician predict the severity of brain insults.

I will advise you to get evaluated by a local neurologist/neurosurgeon and they will guide you through clinical evaluation and CT scan of brain with bone window to note if there is any bleed/fracture.

The probable absence of warning symptoms (you have not described) in you may not point towards a serious brain injury. But, better get examined at the earliest.

Hope this clarifies your query. Please get back if you any further questions in this issue.