Got head injury. Developed bruise and large lump above eye. What cure should be done?

I just got home from night classes to get my cna. My mom told me my 15 month old daughter fell and hit her head on the corner of the door frame. I asked if she cried immediately, etc. Mom said yes. I went and looked in on her to see for myself. She has a large lump above her left eye. It is extremely smooshy, not hard. Slight bruising, but didn't appear to be alot of bruising. She opened her eyes and looked at me, but went back to sleep. It looks slightly indented, but I can't tell if its from the size of the knot or what? Why is it smooshy and not hard. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

The lump is likely to be either soft tissue hematoma (clot of blood) or it may be swelling due to accumulation of fluid following injury (edema). Though it usually resolves with time, since the region around the eye is very important and is very delicate structures are situated there (also the brain is very nearby), it is best to get her evaluated by doctor to rule out any serious injuries.

If you feel she is drowsy, as you have described, then that is more so the reason to get her evaluated on an emergency basis.

A swelling is hard when it is either under tension or is bony. Your daughter may not be having either and so swelling is not hard. And being soft does not make it any more serious.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!!