Got head injury. Bruise appeared on head. X-ray showed clear. What could this possibly be?

My dad fell off a motorbike and got head injury but was conscious. He went to the hospital right away. There is a bruise on the left side of the head, above the ears. He went for brain x-ray and the doctor said the result was good. Later, he started to cough up blood. At first it was much, but then it got little the next time he coughed up blood again. My sister massaged the bruise with warm water. What could this possibly be ? What should he do ? could there have been any more XXXXXXX injuries hours after he went to the hospital
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 11 minutes later
The blood coming up in cough is unlikely to be related to the head injury. Possibly there is another XXXXXXX injury somewhere along the respiratory tract from where blood in coming. That injury might not have been recognized at first.
He should definitely go back to doctor and get evaluated for the cause of blood in cough. Bleeding XXXXXXX injuries can be XXXXXXX and should not be neglected.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Got head injury. Bruise appeared on head. X-ray showed clear. What could this possibly be? 11 hours later
But according to my dad, his chest did not crash and there is no bruise. what are the other possible symptoms, besides coughing up blood, if an XXXXXXX injury occurs in the respiratory track?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 10 hours later
A direct injury to the chest is not necessary to cause XXXXXXX injuries. The rapid movement of XXXXXXX structures along with the body, as in case of a fall, can cause damage. Other likely symptoms are chest pain, cough, breathing difficulty. All need not be present together in a patient.
Good luck.