Got hard punch in stomach. Feeling pain over the sternal area. What should I do?

Good

Gastroenterologist
Question
had a sudden feeling today while driving as if someone punched me in the stomach and a big feeling of woosh went throughout my upper part of my body; I immediately thought heart attack and got off the highway to try to calm myself...I had pain in mid part of my back right before this happened and then feeling of warmth going through the upper part right below my sternum
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The possibilities are pancreatitis, peptic ulcer disease and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Since you have pain over the sternal area and that you are 53 years and overweight, an EKG should also be done to rule out cardiac ailments.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Got hard punch in stomach. Feeling pain over the sternal area. What should I do? 1 hour later
I had not eaten anything all day when this happened, it was now about 1:45pm could this also have anything to do with that sudden pain? I am at 5 ft 168lbs now

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Yes.
If it is a peptic ulcer disease, starving the whole day may cause these symptoms.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini