Got hard hit on thigh. Noticed blood clot. Should I consult a doctor?

I was pitching batting practice to my son and was hit with a line drive that was hit very hard. The ball hit my right thigh. This occurred about one hour ago. I have been icing the area and wondering if I have to worry about a blood clot. I am a healthy 50 year old male. Wondering if I should have it checked out at the ER?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A blood clot is said to occur if there is any problem with one of three things (called the virchow triad) (1) abnormality of a blood vessel which predisposes substances to attach and a clot to form (2) problems related to the components of the blood - persons who have problems with some of the chemicals involved in clotting with results in their blood forming excess blood clots (3) the viscosity or fluidity of the blood or any alteration in the blood flow

Trauma, like what you experienced may cause reversible damage to the muscles in the particular area and may also damage any blood vessels that would have been struck but would not likely affect any aspect of this triad to cause a clot.The aspect of the triad referring to damage is referring to the veins being damaged by high blood pressure, smoking, decreased oxygen

The use of ice is appropriate, it falls under the acronym = R.I.C.E which stands for rest, ice, compression with a bandage if there is swelling and elevation which also reduces swelling and pain.
In addition the use of an anti inflammatory agent , if you have no history of any problems with them, would be helpful.This would include ibuprofen/cataflam/celebrex, all of these fall into that family of drugs.

If the pain is significant and does not improve with the above, it would be best , if possible , to see your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions