Got hard hit on the nose. Started swelling with headache and eye pain. Requited treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
I got hit hard in the nose by accident with the pole in a baby walker. It fell out of the box and right onto the middle of my nose. Now my nose is swolen, but not bleeding. Headache and eye ache. No broken skin. Treatment?
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If there was no lost of consciousness, the trauma was not serious enough to hurt the brain. The only thing which should get checked is the nose which can be broken. If you find your nose irregular or with strange shape, it should be verified by laryngologist. Otherwise, no further medical attention is necessary.
You should just be aware of symptoms like nausea, dizziness, vomiting, blurred vision. If any of mentioned will appear, you should visit your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Got hard hit on the nose. Started swelling with headache and eye pain. Requited treatment? 4 hours later
Hi. Thank you. I do have major headache, as if I got hit on the top of the head and not the nose. I also have blurred vision.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Hello!

Than you should consult your doctor as such symptoms can appear with brain injury. Head is a very tight area where there is no additional space for blood or even swelling of the tissues, that is why even simple bleeding can be XXXXXXX
I suggest you to visit your doctor for physical examination and if he decides, head CT should be performed.

Regards.