Got hard hit on hip bone. Painful bruise and knot appeared. How to get cured?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I banged my left XXXXXXX bone very hard on the under carriage of a shopping cart two and a half weeks ago. The area bruised slightly, but was very painful. It is still very painful even though the bruise is gone. There is a hard painful knot on the XXXXXXX bone that can be felt under the skin.

Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture. This hard knot most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood) which might get fibrosed or calcified secondary to fracture or soft tissue injury.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta