Got hand, foot and mouth disease. Started loose motions. On flexon and atarax. Can I give meftal p?

my 18 month old is on the 3rd day of Hand foot and mouth diesase and has a temp of 102.4
also has loose motions. he is on flexon and atarax. can I give him meftal p ?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

I am sorry to hear your 18 months old child has got hand, foot and mouth disease.

Would you please tell me why he is having Flexon and atarax? Has he got any other problem? As you probably know hand foot and mouth disease (HFMD) is caused by enterovirus. It is self limited illness. It should be treated symptomatically. For the high temperature he should have Paracetamol Syrup (500mgm/5ml) 2.5ml four times daily.

He should be given extra fluid with electrolytes for hydration e.g. Electrol / Diarolyte sachets, 1 XXXXXXX should be dissolved in 300mls of boiled and cooled water and should be fed frequently.

The condition will settle down within a week. The other thing is it is highly infectious.
Kindest Regards Dr. S.K.Mukherjee